One of my favorite's
"Egg Foo Young"
I love egg foo young, but I rarely eat it because of certain ingredients that are used to enhance the flavor, like MSG (monosodium glutamate) which has been controversial for a long time know and has been added to oriental cuisine in just about every Oriental Take Out Restaurant in the US. So I choose to not eat it, since some people have had bad reactions, after eating high doses in their food.
So what do you do about it? You learn to cook it. Through research, I found that it was easy and reasonably price to prepare egg foo young myself and you can prepare it too, with a few simple ingredients and a little time.
- buy and cook your favorite rice, or be creative, I used Red Thai Rice in the picture above because I was feeling it that day.
- 6tbs cooking oil (for frying egg mixture, depending on your wok or pan size)
- yields 2-3 (5inch patties)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2tsp sesame oil
- 1tsp soy sauce
- 1/2tsp oyster sauce
- 1tsp Shaoxing wine (optional)
- pepper to taste about 1/8 - 1/4tsp
- veggies including, 2oz bean sprouts, 1oz shitake mushroom or any mushroom you like (stems removed and sliced, 1oz onion (sliced), 1/2oz baby bok choy (sliced use the green leafs)
- sliced scallion (for topping)
- Heat oil in Wok or Fry Pan.
- Mix all ingredients thoroughly, except veggies.
- Than add veggies.
- Drop a tad of egg mixture in pan, if it bubbles up it's ready
- Move quickly ladle your egg in wok top with veggies (cook until brown on both sides, you will have to flip over patty)
Brown Sauce or Gravy
- 1c cup chicken stock or broth (heat in pot)
- pinch garlic powder
- pinch cayenne
- 2tbs soy sauce
- 2tsp cornstarch
- 2tbs water
1 1/2tsp sesame oil
- add to the pot with hot broth
- garlic powder, cayenne, soy sauce and taste
- add the water to the corn starch in a medium size bowl
- remove pot from heat & add 1/2 the hot broth to the corn starch mixture slowly, (whisking)
- pour the sauce from the bowl back into the pot, with the rest of the broth whisk and add sesame oil, cover to keep warm
Serve immediately (plate your rice, patty, ladle with sauce and top w/ sliced scallion (optional)
Enjoy my take on Veggie Egg Foo Young
fyi (to make it interesting add a little, shredded chicken or beef, shrimp scallop or lobster)
Whatever you do have fun with it an don't forget to taste as you!!!
Acknowledgements: Thank You for your fabulous recipe tips Emeril Lagasse and Rasa Malaysia